The Campus has removed the masking requirement in most circumstances, including classrooms. Masks must still be worn in healthcare settings, and if you have tested positive for, have been exposed to, or have symptoms of COVID-19.
- You yourself can wear a mask, and in fact, the Director of the University Health Center encourages all of us to do so. You can request that students wear masks in your classroom or your office, unfortunately, you cannot mandate mask-wearing so long as campus policy allows for the removal of masks.
- The department maintains a supply of KN95 masks and other COVID-related supplies for employees that may be requested using the following form: https://forms.gle/MuYeHG5EVPPs1Lyp6. Students may obtain KN95 masks at the Stamp Student Union Information Desk.
2. Positive Test
If you test positive for COVID-19 you must report your test result at return.umd.edu, and to your program director (Jessica Enoch for the Academic Writing Program, Scott Wible for the Professional Writing Program) or to the associate chair (Kellie Robertson). Employees who test positive for COVID-19 must quarantine for a minimum of five days, and may return to campus on day six if you meet all of the campus' guidelines.
After notifying your program director or the associate chair of your positive test result, they will work with you on plans for course continuity that may include remote instruction, substitute coverage, or other appropriate strategies.
You can order COVID-19 supplies for use in Tawes Hall using the following link:
4. COVID-related Accommodations
In special cases, students, faculty and staff may request an accommodation related to COVID-19. For new accommodation requests, students (including teaching assistants) should contact the Accessibility and Disability Service. Employees may contact University Human Resources regarding requests for work-related accommodations.
5. Air Purifiers
Out of an abundance of caution, and with the safety of our students, faculty, and staff in mind, this fall the English department has provided additional standalone HEPA-13 air purifiers in each of the following spaces in Tawes Hall:
- Any department-scheduled classroom in Tawes Hall without a window
- Any departmental conference room or meeting space in Tawes Hall without a window
- Any departmental individual or shared office in Tawes Hall without a window
- Any departmental office reception area in Tawes Hall without a window, or those that include spaces far removed from windows
The MEO will also review requests on a case-by-case basis from individuals who are seeking an air purifier for a space that does not meet the criteria above. Those requests can be submitted using the following form: https://forms.gle/EmBGCJ1oNStzVvo37.
The filters in these air purifiers are changed every six months, or sooner if needed.
Problems with an air purifier can be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-405-3789.