- TTK faculty receive $3,000 in research funds on a three-year cycle, pro-rated to their FTE in the English department. The last re-up of research funds was on July 1, 2021. These funds are eligible for use through June 30, 2024. Funds remaining in your research account as of June 30, 2024, will be swept and $3,000 will be deposited as of July 1, 2024.
- TTK faculty may also have research funds received at the time of hire (startup funds) or as part of a retention.
- PTK faculty may receive research funds through Research and Writing Groups, or through Writing Programs Awards.
- Each summer the business office notifies faculty of their current research account balance. You can inquire about your balance at any time by emailing email@example.com.
The use of research funds is subject to State of Maryland and University regulations. Items purchased with research funds remain the property of the University of Maryland.
Items for which you can use your research funds include:
- Books of a scholarly nature
- Computer hardware and software, including tablets, laptops, etc. (to be purchased through Shawn Saremi).
- Conference trips including hotel, travel, per diem, and registration fees
- Research trips including hotel, travel, and per diem costs
- Membership in professional organizations, limited to two organizations a year per UMD policy
- Research or student assistants
- Subventions for manuscripts or journal articles
- Professional development expenses related to the conduct of research
- Visitors, either for an event or class session, paid via an honorarium
The items for which you cannot use research funds include:
- The purchase of your own books
- Personal digital subscriptions to journals already available via the University library
- Spousal, partner, or other family member travel
If you are unsure if an expense is allowable, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to check. We cannot reimburse you for unallowable expenses.
Accessing Research Funds
Purchases (other than technology)
- It is preferred that submit a purchase request form or send an email to email@example.com with the requested item to purchase.
- Alternatively, you may submit a reimbursement request form after paying for items using your personal credit card. Items may only be reimbursed if the request is submitted within one year of purchase.
- Travel requests are submitted through Concur. The following KFS numbers should be used for research-related travel:
- TTK faculty - 2939480
- PTK faculty - 2939510
- Email Shawn Saremi to request a quote for the technology item you'd like to purchase.